In Home Care Educators

Can I choose an educator?

Yes. Finding the right educator that meets your needs is incredibly important. We support you in a number of ways to make sure there’s a right fit between you, your children and the educator.

  • We develop a family management plan that details the education and care needs of your children
  • We work with in home care services who recruit qualified in home care educators
  • We can answer any questions you may have about finding the right educator

Are educators qualified?

Yes. All In Home Care educators are required to have a minimum Certificate III level qualification. Acceptable qualifications include a Certificate III, Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education and Care.

In Home Care educators are also required to hold a current first aid certificate.

Can a family member be an educator?

No. In Home Care cannot be provided by a family member.

There is no entitlement to the child care subsidy (CCS) or additional child care subsidy (ACCS) where an in home care educator cares for:

  • Their, or their partner’s, child, including a foster care child, adopted child, kinship child or child for which they otherwise have legal responsibility, or
  • Their, or their partner’s: brother, sister, half-brother or half-sister, step-brother or step-sister
  • Their, or their partner’s: niece, nephew, cousin, grandchild or great grandchild

There are some very limited exceptions to this. For families that live in very remote areas and are unable to find an educator, in certain circumstances, a suitable relative can be an IHC educator.
Please contact us for more information.

Responsibilities of an educator

In Home Care educators are skilled, qualified and dedicated child care providers.

The main role of an educator is to provide children with a variety of age appropriate, play-based activities that encourage each child’s development, learning and life skills.

If an educator has children under-school age in their care, they will be required to work with the Early Years Learning Framework.

An educator may also work alongside other service providers who all have specialist knowledge to assist each family with their specific circumstances.

Educators are not expected to perform household duties outside of those associated with the care of children.

How to become an educator

Being an In Home Care educator is a truly rewarding and unique career.

In home care educators play an important role in the lives of families. Many educators make lifeline connections with families and children.

Plus, you’ll be making a real, positive impact.

To become an In Home Care educator, you need to:

  • Meet qualification requirements
  • Be registered with an In Home Care Service
  • Meet additional requirements

Qualification requirements

In Home Care educators are required to have the following minimum qualifications:

  • Certificate III level qualification in a relevant course or be working towards a Certificate III qualification and provide documentary evidence.
  • Certificate III, a diploma or a degree in Early Childhood Education or equivalent qualifications that have a major focus on Early Childhood Education are acceptable qualifications.
  • Primary school teaching qualifications of educators registered with state-based Teacher Regulatory Authorities are also deemed as acceptable qualifications.
  • If you work in a rural or remote area and have difficulty meeting the qualification requirements, transitional provisions until 1 January 2020 will apply.

Get more information on the MySkills website.

Register with an in home care service

Every In Home Care Educator is required to be registered with an In Home Care Service.

Once you are registered with a service, they will work with you to match you to a suitable family.

Services support educators by:

  • Conducting safety assessments to ensure the home environment is suitable for you to work in
  • Providing resources and information to help you in your role
  • Acting as an initial contact point for any issues you may be having

Additional requirements

To be an in home care educator, you must also be:

  • At least 18 years old
  • An Australian resident, permanent citizen or have the relevant visa to allow employment on a continuous basis for 12 months or more
  • Hold a current working with children check (blue card)
  • Undertake a police check
  • Have a current first aid certificate, preferably for providing first aid to children

How we support educators

If you’re an in home care educator, we can support you by:

  • Providing resources and tips on providing education and care in the family home
  • Providing information for working with families who have complex needs
  • Connecting you with other educators to share ideas and get peer-to-peer support
  • Being an independent party to discuss concerns relating to the safety of your physical environment of the home you are working in.